Incident Date: 2/05/15
Location: 6191 Badger Canyon Rd, San Bernardino, CA
Time of the call: 14:42
Number of Units: 1 Engine, 1 Battalion Chiefs, 1 Rescue Helicopter
Number of Firefighters: 3 Firefighters and 1 Chief Officer
Fatalities/Injuries: 1 Injury (adult male approx. 60 y/o)
- Fire Rescue crews dispatched to a report of a hang glider that crashed into the mountain side just above Cal State University San Bernardino.
- Reports from witnesses at the Andy Jackson Air Park advised victim was approximately three-quarters of a mile up the hillside at the 2600’ elevation level.
- Brush Engine 225 from the fire station located on Kendall near University was the first rescue unit on scene and determined that quick access and rapid patient extraction on foot would not be feasible.
- SB County Sheriff helicopter 40-king assisted with determining the precise location of the patient which was approx. 150 yards from Marshall Peak.
- SBFD requested the assistance of Sheriff Air Rescue 306 to assist with victim extraction. Air Rescue 6 is staffed with Fire Medics from SB County Fire Dept.
- Air Rescue 6 lowered a Flight Medic down to the patient and hoisted the male victim to safety.
- The patient was flown directly to a local trauma center with moderate leg injuries.
- The cause of the accident has yet to be determined.