Contact: Captain Jason Serrano, PIO Assigned - Contact # 760-912-3494
Incident Commander: Battalion Chief Cooke 909-384-5279
Incident Date: 7/30/14
Location: 6191 Badger Canyon Rd (see map)
Time of the call: 17:18
Number of Units: 1 Engine, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 1 Rescue Helicopter
Number of Firefighters: 6 Firefighters and 2 Chief Officers
Fatalities/Injuries: 1 Injury (adult male approx. 50 y/o)
- Fire Rescue crews dispatched to a report of a hang glider that crashed into the mountain side just above CSUSB
- Reports from witnesses at the Andy Jackson Air Park advised victim was approximately three-quarters of a mile up the hillside at the 2600’ elevation level.
- First arriving Fire Rescue unit on scene determined that quick access and rapid patient extraction on foot would not be feasible.
- SBFD requested the assistance of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Air Rescue helicopter to assist with victim location and extraction.
- Sheriff Air Rescue 6 lowered their SB County Fire Flight Medic down to the patient and hoisted the male victim to safety.
- Patient was brought to the landing zone located at the Andy Jackson Air Park where he was assessed further by SBFD paramedics and transported via ambulance to a local trauma center.
- The cause of the accident is unknown at this time and the patient sustained moderate injuries.